Je suis un étranger

My Life in Québec City

Nom :
Emplacement : Québec, Canada

I transcend the Zodiac in the ultimate form of the Panda.

dimanche, décembre 10, 2006

Qu'est-ce que je mange?

So what is it that I eat these days? Well I generally eat a bagel for breakfast. Actually, I'm going through a 2 day bagel withdrawal. This is what happens when one buys bagels for $1.81 at Tim Horton's, only to find it for $0.29 at the local grocery store. I've also found various fruits for crazy low prices. From week to week, you can find deals like cantaloupes for $0.99, bananas for $0.29/lb, pomegranates for $1.99 amongst others.

What's in my fridge/freezer/shelves:
Eggs
Red, Orange, Yellow Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Potatoes
Green Beans
Rice Milk
Shrimp
Ramen noodles/Rice/Vermicelli/Spaghetti/Elbow Macaroni
Garlic and Ginger

Good and all, if these weren't the only things I've been eating for the past 2 months. Part of the problem is I don't know if styrofoam from grocery stores is recyclable (there are recycling bins indicating styrofoam at Laval University), and I don't know how to cook much else.

On that note, the family upstairs invited me to dinner last night. It seemed like a typical meal, which is good since I'd rather know what they eat regularly as opposed to them trying to cater to me. A tomato and parsley salad with a balsamic vinegrette, steamed broccoli, ginger-marinated chicken breasts, baked rice w/ green peppers and mushrooms, along with a mountain of fruit salad (banana, orange, cantaloupe, grape). Very healthy indeed! This definitely looks like food I want to recreate in the near future.

Yay to experimenting with food! Perhaps my time spent watching the Food Network may pay off!

Have a good day,
Keith