Je suis un étranger

My Life in Québec City

Nom :
Emplacement : Québec, Canada

I transcend the Zodiac in the ultimate form of the Panda.

lundi, janvier 08, 2007

Mon Travail

Right, as my astute friend Andrea has pointed out to me, I have not made any mention of my job. I suppose I should get on that then.

What was I looking for in a job while in Québec?
1) The opportunity to speak to the Québecois in a non-pressure situation (no phones or cashiers for me, please).
2) Something to whittle away the days (full-time work).
3)That's about it. I'm not very picky, am I?

Anyway, after sending a good couple dozen resumés out, I wait for about a week and a half before my first and only call-back. Let's note here, that unlike my intention to send out resumés by the end of October, I actually started at the beginning of December. Yes, I was THAT lethargic.

Now you must be asking yourself why he's running on like this. FYI, this certain blogger hasn't updated quite like promised and is just making up for it now.

Onto the job, which I don't really have much to say about. I work at a grocery store, much like an IGA, or a Safeway, or something to that degree. Heck, I didn't even know what my job entailed once I got accepted. I for the most part nodded along. The manager mentioned something about a warehouse, and whether I could make it to work at 8:00am. The previous post talks more of that.

So this idea of working in a warehouse, instilled in my mind that there was a lot of manual labour. How far off I was. It turns out this warehouse is, of course, just a few fridges containing all the produce. Also, most of my daily activities reside in the fruits department and the cashier. Stocking fruits, checking for the spoiled ones, helping clients carry their bags, and generally making sure the public has not wreaked havoc on the place.

I've now been working there since Dec. 19th. It's nice to have a job again. Plus, I've been able to listen to the locals in the fullness of their speech. No toning down of accents, insistence to speak English, or trying to include me in every conversation. Life is good...if only half the rain turned to snow, it'd be a Wonderland for me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

It sounds like a splendid job! Are you the lingering fellow that evesdrops on people's conversations?? :) It would make sense, it's not like you're interested in what they are saying, only just that they are speaking. Good on you for learning the crazy language!Ah, the French. And life relaxes just a little bit more:) Good luck with the rain, I hear they are thinking of tapping the trees for the sap for maple syrup because it's so warm. All the Vancouverites are going into hibernation due to the inch or so of snow we have here. I laugh, crazy Vancouver:) Take it easy, my good man, and enjoy the fabulous rain:)
Cheers!

1/14/2007 4:05 a.m.  
Blogger Perichoresis said...

=oP No I don't eavesdrop on people. What do you think I am, a stalker? I did tend to do that with Cantonese while in Winnipeg, but I find that if you get enough daily conversation in, there's no need.

If anything, I end up catching English speakers right away.

2/04/2007 11:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Good post.

11/11/2008 5:26 p.m.  

Publier un commentaire

<< Home