Je suis un étranger

My Life in Québec City

Nom :
Emplacement : Québec, Canada

I transcend the Zodiac in the ultimate form of the Panda.

lundi, janvier 29, 2007

Montréal Smackdown

I'll be spending most of my time before work today to blog, so enjoy. I was going to update people last week, but the power went out and my landlord didn't know how to fix the router. I don't really know how to fix it either, though all I can say is play around with all the wires and electric cords and it'll work eventually.

But I apologize for that, and for that short spiel. On to swing dancing.

So at the beginning of December, I decided to dish out $148 for the weekend workshop in Montréal. Now you might ask yourselves, that's a ton of money for a weekend event, but if you're passionate about a particular hobby, I think you'll better understand. Also, it included a very dancer-friendly concert with none other than the renowned Barbara Morrison, and workshops with world-class instructors Skye Humphries and Frida Seigerdahl.

This was definitely my first experience with instructors of their caliber, and they impressed me with how warm they were towards whom they were teaching. There's definitely something about teaching in a circle that's special I think. Perhaps it's because the circle uses the least surface area to cover the most area, or that it's a symbol of continuity, but I digress, I'm putting too much into it.

For the most part, it wasn't the moves that stuck with me more than the fundamentals that they were trying to teach with those moves. I can definitely say I still suck at jazz steps. So what did I learn? I won't say, except for one jazz step in which I forgot that my body stretched that way. It felt overexerted for a couple days. Rather, I'll tell the swing dancers that they should go to these events and find out for themselves. Oh, and take notes during/after each class. If there is a certain move that you like, it's nice to know that you can refer to a sheet when/if you do forget it. Also, what you have to do in those moves and the fundamentals associated with it, so you don't just have the footwork and no way to lead it.

L'Espace Dell'Arte was a little small for my liking compared to the class/concert size, though I can say that for the most part it was alright. Apparently it was bigger before the renovation, but it was also a delapidated restaurant, not an events centre.

The concert was amazing! Barbara Morrison and the band that played behind her (sorry I don't remember) were, like I said, very dancer friendly. I've seen a few bands play for swing dances, but this is definitely at the top of the list. Though, I'll have to add that this the first internationally renowned artist I've seen too. She ended up dancing in a couple jams. That made me ecstatic! I certainly don't have the guts to do that yet. Music was played at all tempos, and the pacing was excellent. You could literally dance all night as opposed to stopping every few songs. It also introduced me to the horseshoe formation to allow the band to see a jam. That's really thoughtful.

Mmmmhmmmm, I could keep on talking but it'll just seem like rambling after this. Time for lunch! Nothing more french than a baguette with option of terrine meat spread/roasted garlic/camembert cheese except with a cup of coffee.